17 February 2009

To you, Lover

A building protects from a storm much the same way that you keep me from my own storms; but more than just a building - a home - full of warmth and comfort, and love. A shelter in every sense of the word.
I wake up in the morning to your smile and you whisper that breakfast is ready. Perhaps it seems a small thing, since you must make breakfast for yourself anyway. But it is not a small thing to me. It is one of a thousand ways you show your love for me every single day.
You quiz me on my homework even when I’d much rather be doing something else. Your persistence is sweet.
You calm me. Your voice and your gentle touch as you play with my hair.
I adore you when you’re sleepy. When I come to bed late and you roll over and say “Hi Misterman” as you fall back asleep, this time on my chest. And I lay there running my fingers through your hair and find myself not wanting to sleep after all. But just to lie there, and be happy.
You’re going to be gone a lot this year. You’re leaving in 4 days. That ache I felt when you were in Iraq comes back in sharp stabs when I think about it. But then I remember you’re not going back to Iraq. You’ll be just as out of reach; but you’ll be safe. And that makes all the difference.
I love you. And I’ll never stop.

-Dylan James

3 comments:

becomingkate said...

I hope you get more time together.

AndiMAC said...

I hope I find some one who loves me as much as you love your wife. That was beautiful.....

Chris said...

God you have an amazing heart. You are both so very lucky. You never cease to amaze me with the flowing beauty and grace of your words.